Our next student profile takes us to Braden. He is a do-it-all kind of student. He has done CNC, Carbon Fiber, woodworking, machining and welding. He is actually on a half day schedule his senior year in order to work at his local manufacturing job. His kind spirit and hard work has made him a pleasure to have for the last 4 years. I wish him the best of luck in his future and I know he will do very well.
- What made you want to join this class?
I have always liked manufacturing and working with my hands. I like accomplishing things and seeing what I have made.
- How long have you been taking manufacturing classes?
4 years, or 6 class periods
- What types of projects have you done over the last few years?
Build a bobber style chopper, made lots of pens, bridges, boxes, lots of welding projects.
- What are your plans for the next few years?
I already have had a manufacturing job for 2 years. I build custom rifle barrels for Benchmark Barrels. I have been a pre-lapper, post-lapper, driller, cnc lathe operator. I plan to work here for a few more years and then go to college for welding or machining.
- How has this class prepared you for your future?
This class taught me about the metal lathe, safety and all of the processes to get things done.
- What has been your favorite part of being in this class?
Seeing projects come together. The ability to work on my ideas has helped me teach myself how to learn when I need to learn it.
- If you had one more year in the shop, what would you make or learn?
I would start making the custom longboards. They are pretty nice. I might also try to make my own motorcycle.
- Do you have any advice for our younger shop students?
If you love the ability to work with your hands or learn about the technical aspect of manufacturing, this is a great class
Here is a selection of Braden’s work